Monday, January 8, 2007

Reality Starts to Kick-in

It's strange that despite all the talk, questions and organising for the move to the the UAE, i actually have'nt given too much thought to the whole idea, or at least, i don't think i've had a full grasp on the reality of moving away from the family for 3 months.

This all kicked in two evenings ago, I was checking the kids before going to bed myself. We had just had a really great day at a family function (Poppy's 60th), the kids as usual had been really good and had had a ball playing with all their cousins. When we got home we played cricket in the back yard before dinner, and then had a light meal of left overs. We often have our dinners outside in the summer, sitting together, laughing about our day or organising the beach for the next.

That night when looking in on the kids, the whole reality of leaving the kids dawned upon me. Watching them lay there, (quiet for a change), exhausted from a great day, and just so peaceful. I felt an overwhelming sense of what i was going to miss. i reflcted on what each of them meant to me and for one of the first times, put aside my own excitment of the new challenge, and was filled with sme real doubts if the move was really worth it.

B1 would be going to year 5 and had just joined a cricket team which he loved me to come and watch. Despite gaining more and more attitude (part of the age) i really know he needs me around alot and he loves cuddles and tingles and scratchies from his dad too.

B2 will have so many questions about science and nature for me that i love helping him with, plus also, i sometimes feel like his body gaurd against the rath of B1, he too is a real cuddly bear.

B3 has just started kindy this week and is a really funny kid. Since my last trip to the UAE a month ago, he has turned into more of a daddy's boy than before (mum still has top billing of course though), but this extra time he gives me now is really prescious.

B4 is without doubt, the biggest daddy's boy of the lot, and i almost feel like i am betraying this love by moving away for what will essentially be 1/6th of his life. He is like a litle baby koala the way he jus clings to me all the time. I love the affection from him.

Obviously FS is going to be a major part of my homesickness, and not just because i'll have to cook, clean, shop, iron, and everything else for myself, but i worry that she'll be so overloaded with me gone. She jokes that my going will remove one of her main hassles, ohh ho ho she is so funny...she is joking isn't she? We've together for 17 years now and this'll be the longest time apart for sure.

The goodbye's at the airport are going to be very tough tonight. May even jerk a tear from this tough guy (hav'net cried since the Dr slapped my bum at birth...geez i'm tough...part of the heritage of being a S, is'nt that right Bob.)

Day of leaving is today, still so much to do, like pack. i've had bugger-all communication with my hosts in the UAE, part of the culture i feel i will need to get used to. So far i have a flight number, and an asurance last evening that someone will pick me up from Dubai and take me to Al Ain where i'll begin straight away. i was origanlly staying at a hotel for the 3 months. this changed to a large 4bedroom unit, then to a large 3 bedroom flat, now back to a hotel until they finish furnishing a large flat for me. the job seems to be gettting bigger all the time too. The first contract i was brought in to manage for them (1.5 times the size of the company i currently manage), has just had a second, even larger contract added to it. this starts the day i arrive. Just been informed that at least 1 of the PM's working for me doea'st speak english at all! I know most of the senoir management have good englsih, so that's good. After all, i'm the ring-in in town, and whilst i bought the "learn to speak Arabic" CD, i have all of about 4 words down pat so far. Worried a little...YES!!

2 comments:

CC said...

NS in five star hotel while FS left home with B1-4...you are going to owe FS big time...suggest you bring back lots of gold from UAE!
It was nice to read who much you appreciate the wonderful family you have.
Hope the three months flies by for all!
Good luck, stay safe, love CC, LC, WC & IC.

fs said...

just got home from airport. we had fun and felt relaxed at the airport. NS seemed confident until it was time to leave. i held myself together until it was time to leave then cried and cried. B1 and B2 were laughing. Although i am left at home with all 4 kids..yes it will be busy.. i feel more for ns as he is away from all the people who he loves and who love him. Good luck ns and be rest assured that whilst you are away on this wonderful adventure, i will be here holding it all together!!