Thursday, January 11, 2007

Oh My God! What have i done?

Flight over was good, scored an exit seat and had plenty of room to stretch the legs. Took the example of my boss and sucked back a couple of sleeping tablets,(i never travel well or sleep on flights), seemed to work and i knocked off for about 3 hours of the 15 hour flight.

Landed at 5.30am UAE time at Dubai Int., was picked up and driven straight to Al Ain, we travelled at 140Kms the whole way and were overtaken by every other car. Roads are mad! Got to see the sun rise over the expanding dunes, they are a brilliant red and orange colours and perfrectly groomed by the wind.

Arrived in Al Ain about 8.30am and went straight to office to meet everyone...then it hit me, BANG!!... i forgot about the language barrier being so severe, i missed the family already and felt sick that i had gone ahead with this. The worst part was going and spending time in the hotel they had arranged and being alone. I was jet lagged, knew no-one, could'nt understand anyone and generally feeling like i had left the perfect life behind, for this.

I ended up back at the office later that afternoon, and got stuck in. There does'nt seem to be a specific job they want me to do other than "everything". Where to begin is the hardest part. i forged on through the evening, they work ridiculous hours here, and felt better about everything when i was busy.

One of the guys showed me the flat they have organised for me on the way back to the hotel. It is a really big 3 bedder, with a 4th bed for the maid, (guess that's where FS will sleep if the family come over..just kidding babe!), it has a large kitchen and 3 bathrooms including ensuite, and a huge dining area. All the floors are marble and as such it is very noisy and echoey. It is unfurnished at this stage so i will stay at hotel until such time. I told my host i would prefer to move in to the flat asap to help me settle.

Observation note - Outside right now are the prayer calls being blasted all over the city...very mystic.

Into the thick of things today (my second day), had a handover meeting with 6 others that went for 2 1/2 hours and not one word of english! Left meeting and my hosts informs me he needs me to start work on the issues raised asap???

Must say everyone is so very nice here. i am relieve to have my car now and expect a phone later today, so things are better in that respect than i would have guessed.

Will learn to load photos soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you are listening to you arabic CD's. Fs would appriciate it if you would send some translations over so that the family can learn some words incase of our travels

Bob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob said...

Your text message arrived 2.30 PM local time today so that part of communicating is fine.

Your Blog is great reading so keep up the good work.

Encouraging to hear that you are working with nice people and the accommodation has a spare bed room.